Design and Produce Fabric Screen Printing Course: 4 DAY INTENSIVE
x 4 DAY Session (See available dates when booking)
Or ask us about paying in installments
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Are you a fan of fabric? A connoisseur of cloth? Have you ever wandered through a fabric store and thought how great it would be to create your own custom textiles?
Turn that ambition into a reality! This 4 Day course is a speedy intro to the entire design and print process, from sketch, to screen, to finished fabric length. It is designed to be open to people with all levels of print knowledge, whether you've never printed before or if you're interested in improving upon your current skills.
By the end of the course you will have had a chance to play with a few designs and walk away with a 2m length of fabric hand-printed with your own 2-colour design.
This course is designed for anyone interested in learning technical, commercial methods of designing for and producing screen printed fabric to use in hobby printing or your own textile label.
Please Note: Due to the condensed length of this course, we HIGHLY recommend that only people who are very confident using a computer enrol, as there is limited time to practice. It may go without saying, but you will need to know how to view and save files without help, download and upload images using email and be comfortable with attempting to draw using a mouse. If you struggle with any of these tasks, this class is not for you. We don't expect you to have prior knowledge using the programmes Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, but we will be using them in class, so you must be comfortable with the idea of learning to use these programmes at a fairly quick pace.
The course will cover 7 key areas of content:
1: Introduction to Photoshop and Illustrator for textile design.
2: Idea and artwork development on paper and computer.
3: Digitising artwork / creating colour separations
4: Finalising artwork, ready for screen.
5: Manual and DIY screen printing techniques.
6: Exposing and preparing screens
7: Printing and finishing fabric
Throughout, Laura Walsh from Bobbin and Ink will guide you through the process of developing an idea for a yardage/ metreage repeat, translating it into a multi-layer digital image, manipulating, editing and separating it into a printable image onto film, exposing it onto a screen and finally printing it as a 2-colour fabric repeat. You'll be shown how to finish the fabric so that it is then ready to use in garments, furnishings, display or any other application you can imagine.
If you are in doubt about whether you can or should take this class, please send us an email, we're happy to answer questions.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Developing design motifs into repeat pattern designs for screen printing.
- Creating digital repeat patterns.
- Using Photoshop and Illustrator to manipulate design elements.
- Identifying natural repeat paths in a pattern.
- Colour selection and adaptation for screen printing.
- Creating complex (photographic/ high detail) and multicolour repeats.
- Identifying and working with different mesh counts on screens
- Ink mixing and colour selection.
- Selecting the right fabric for different sewing or production applications.
- Professional screen printing techniques.
- Practice fabrics.
- Film positives and 2 x ink pots to take home with your custom colour
- Screen and tool access.
- 2 metres x 90cm width white cotton or linen base cloth to print onto and take home.
- Access to computers in class hours with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator installed.
- If you would like to purchase your screens at the end of this course, let us know.
WHAT TO BRING:
- If you have one, a laptop with Adobe Illustrator and/or Adobe Photoshop installed. If you do not have one, you can use one of our computers on site, just notify us when you book in.
- Any sketches, photos or artwork files you would like to work on in class. If you want to start a Pinterest board with ideas before class, even better.
- Pen and paper to write notes on (if you’d like to).
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.