Make Your Own Jeans, Denim and Workwear Sewing Course
Duration: 4 weeks x 3 hours
Skill Level: Intermediate and Advanced
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Jeans and workwear have been keeping us clean, safe and functionally stylish for generations! Heavier weight fabrics may seem scary or troublesome to sew, but we're here to demystify the process and get your garments looking store-bought!
Learn to confidently sew denim, canvas, twill, cord or similar tough fabrics. We'll discuss selecting the right needles, fabric, and threads, how to top-stitch, attach and secure button or zip closures, waistbands and pockets. Learn a range of techniques to achieve a great fit and a professional finish.
This class is for students who are confident sewing woven fabrics but unsure about the tools and machine settings needed to get quality results with denim and other heavy-duty weaves.
Prior to booking in, we recommend completing 1 to 2 garments of any kind, relatively trouble free, using a commercial pattern so that you can get the most out of the Intermediate to Advanced content. We assume attendees have full competency in operating a sewing machine and are comfortable working on their own (see Beginners Learn to Sew Clothing first, if you don't fit this criteria).
Refunds will not be available if you have incorrectly assumed your skill level for this course.
Like our Beginners Learn to Sew Clothing Course, you'll be working on a project of your choosing. Please select and buy your own pattern prior to class commencing. If you're not sure what's suitable, call or email us to check.
Possible projects include: a pair of jeans, overalls, a denim or cord casual jacket, apron, denim skirt, boilersuit, chore jacket or dust coat. If you have a project in mind and are unsure it's suitable, just get in touch before class to discuss it.
Please let us know if you need to borrow a sewing machines / overlocker for the course, otherwise we will assume you're bringing your own. We also have a coverstitch on site that may be used upon request.
With a maximum number of 6 students per class, you'll get comforting one-on-one time with your knowledgeable teacher, Susan Goodwin of Measure Twice Cut Once.
Bobbin and Ink is an LGBTQI+ safe space and this course welcomes women, men and anyone identifying otherwise.
Can't find a date that suits you? Email us to join our waiting list and we'll let you know when new dates are available.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Choosing correct needle, threads and stitch settings for working with denim and heavier weight fabrics.
- Using a twin needle or coverstitch machine for precision topstitching
- Varying seam types for strength/safety/comfort
- Reading and working with paper patterns.
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project.
- Techniques used for cutting and working with heavy fabrics with stretch / non-stretch properties.
- Shaping garments to fit.
- 12 hours of professional tuition.
- Sewing machine use or bring your own.
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins.
- Use of specialist tools, e.g. pinking shears, tracing wheels, scissors, etc*
- Endless tea, coffee and bickies!
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your pattern - If you download the pattern please print / tape it together before class, but don't cut your size yet. We will go straight into cutting patterns in lesson 1 after taking measurements.
- Your fabric - stretch or non stretch denim, cord, drill, canvas or similar. For jeans please ensure this is denim, not jeggings material to ensure that we can fit your jeans correctly.
- Other components necessary for completing your pattern. i.e. Regular thread (for piecing), Top-stitching thread (for finishing), metal tooth zip or buttons depending on whether you want a button or zip fly, metal button for waistband closure, rivets (optional). We have these available to purchase in our shop.
- Your machine and needles. We also have machines you can borrow if necessary. Please bring a universal or jeans needle, size 80 or 90, and if you're using top-stitching thread, a top-stitching needle (a jeans size 100 can also be used).
- Overlocking thread to match your fabric if you would like to use our overlockers / coverstitch machine. We have overlocking thread, top-stitching thread and regular thread available to purchase in-store.
- Sewing Kit – thread snips, fabric scissors, fabric pins, water soluble pen/ chalk pencils/tailors chalk, measuring tape and unpicker. If you don't have the above, these supplies are available to purchase in-store.
- A close fitting tank top/bike pants to wear during measuring and fitting.
- Notebook and pen.
- Wear closed-in shoes and no loose jewellery.
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.