Stretch, Sports and Swimwear 2 Day Sewing Course
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Whether you're eager to dive into the world of swimwear, you're an aspiring yogi, gym junkie, fitness fanatic or just really enjoy wearing stretchy pants and tops around the house, we've got your stretch sewing needs covered in this 2 day course.
Our Stretch, Sports and Swimwear Course is all about working with two and four-way stretch fabric, selecting the right needles/fabric/threads, learning about stretch lining, controlling knits, elastic and working with fasteners. Many modern speciality sports textiles incorporate new technologies to ensure a high performance garment that fits a purpose. Learn how to best combine fabrics with different properties and stretch to achieve a great fit and professional finish.
The aim is to improve your confidence in sewing with materials that like to move around as you work with them, and it is for those who are confident sewing with woven fabrics but feel unsure about what tools and machine settings are best for getting quality results with knits and stretch fabrics.
We recommend that prior to booking in, you should have had a lot of practice sewing. It's recommended that you should have completed 3 to 4 garments of any kind, trouble free, following a commercial pattern, so that you can get the most out of the Intermediate to Advanced content. We assume attendees have full competency in operating a sewing machine and are comfortable working on their own when attending this intermediate sewing class (see Clothes Making for Beginners first, if you don't fit this criteria). Refunds will not be available if you have incorrectly assumed your skill level for this course.
Like our Clothes Making for Beginners Course, you'll be working on a project of your choosing. You'll need to select your own pattern prior to class commencing. We've suggested some basic patterns from our suppliers, as well as a couple of pdf pattern suggestions. If you have an alternative pattern you'd like to use, that's fine, just let us know before booking (we want to make sure you're not going to attempt something too complex for your skill level and the scheduled class hours). You will need to ensure you have the pattern in your size, there won't be time to do major redrafting in class.
The weekend course runs from 10am - 3pm on Saturday and Sunday and includes a 30 minute lunch break each day. Please let us know in advance if you need to use our sewing machines and/or overlockers for the course, otherwise we will assume you're bringing your own to use.
With a maximum number of 6 students per class, you'll get comforting one-on-one time with your knowledgeable teacher, Susan Goodwin of Measure Twice Cut Once.
Can't find a date that suits you? Email us to join our waiting list and we'll let you know when new dates are available.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Choosing correct needle, threads and stitch settings for working with knits.
- Reading and working with paper patterns.
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project.
- Techniques used for cutting and working with slippery, stretchy / knit materials.
- Shaping garments to fit.
- 9 hours of professional tuition
- Sewing machine use or bring your own.
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins.
- Use of specialist tools, e.g. pinking shears, tracing wheels, cutting mats, etc*
- Endless tea, coffee and bickies!
WHAT TO BRING:
- A Swim, Stretch or Sportswear pattern - either a commercial paper pattern or a pattern-makers downloaded pdf pattern you have printed onto paper yourself. Bobbin & Ink stocks a limited range of commercial patterns, should you wish to purchase one prior to class, but please be aware that the selection can change without notice. We advise you to contact us at least 1 week before class commences to see what's available and what can be ordered in.
- Stretch fabric/s and any zips, clasps, elastics, cups or other finishing required to make your garment - your pattern will advise the correct type and amount of fabric to purchase. We sell swim and regular elastics in-store, as well as bra cups and some fasteners. If you need anything specific and are unsure how to get it, just contact us.*
- Sewing Kit* – thread snips, black and white sewing thread, fabric scissors, pearl head/berry/glass head pins, water soluble pen/pencils/tailors chalk, measuring tape and un-picker. If you don't have the above, we have a kit available to purchase in-store which includes most of the basics necessary.*
- A working sewing machine. We recommend working on your own sewing machine so you gain confidence in its features. Make sure you bring along the manual too! Otherwise we can provide you a sewing machine to use throughout the course. Just remember to tell us when you sign up.
- A close fitting tank top/bike pants. You'll be required to wear these under your clothes at different points across the course, as we will be measuring each other in class.
- Notebook and pen.
- Wear closed-in shoes and no loose jewellery.
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.