Kids and Teens Learn to Sew Clothes: 9 Week Sewing Course
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Get set for adventure! We're taming our sewing machines, wranglin' up all the sewing knowledge we can, and busting out sweet-stitching skills in search of sewing patterns to turn into our own custom clothes.
Learn to make your own clothes in this absolute beginners sewing class designed specifically for 8 to 16 year-olds. You'll be guided through the whole sewing process from learning to use a sewing machine to cutting, fitting and sewing a garment of your choice from a selection of design options provided. With a maximum number of 6 students per class, you'll get more one-on-one time with your teacher while making like-minded, crafty, friends.
This fun-filled course is 1 x 2hr session per week, over 9 weeks, which gives you time in between to practice your new skills from home. Previously we've run this course over fewer weeks, but have found it beneficial to spread the content out. If you can't make it to class every week, this will make it easier to catch up.
Suitable for all young gals, guys or anyone identifying otherwise. Bobbin and Ink is a LGBTQI safe-space, everyone is welcome. Grab your adventurin' cap, sewing machine and let's go!
Can't find a date that suits you? Email us to join our waiting list and we'll let you know when new dates are available.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Setting up your sewing machine - threading, needle selection, thread choice, troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Sewing components - creating neat seam finishes, buttonholes/button applications, zipper, sewing curves and points.
- Paper pattern reading.
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project.
- Pattern preparation and layout.
- Fabric cutting.
- Working through a pattern step-by-step.
- Basic fitting.
- 1 pattern of your choice from a selection of beginner sewing projects. We'll choose this pattern together on day 1
- Sewing machine use (or bring your own if you'd like to learn on it).
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins
- Endless tea and coffee provided
WHAT TO BRING:
*Sewing Kit with the following items:
- thread snips
- 1 metre of calico
- 1 spool of good quality black or white sewing thread (we recommend Gutermann or Rasant thread)
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing pins. These can be pearl head, berry, or glass head pins.
- A chalk pencil or tailors chalk for marking fabric. A water soluble pen is also good
- A measuring tape
- A seam ripper (also known as an un-picker.)
Alternatively, purchase a Bobbin and Ink sewing kit complete with all of the above! This can be done online or on the first day of class.
- A working sewing machine. We recommend working on your own sewing machine so you gain more confidence. Otherwise, we can provide you with a sewing machine to use through out the course, free of charge. Just remember to tell us when you sign up!
- Notebook and pen
- In week 1 you'll choose a complimentary pattern to work on across the weeks. Your tutor will advise you what other supplies you'll need to bring with you for week 2, including fabric for making your garment and possibly elastic, buttons, zips, particular thread colours, etc. No need to worry about that till week 2 though and we do have a variety of supplies available to purchase in-store if needed.
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.