Make Your Own Jeans 2 Day Sewing Course
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
The original blue jean was patented in 1873, and almost 150 years later you can still find a pair in wardrobes around the world! While they're easy to find, getting a perfect fit is trickier... hips and waists, awkward leg lengths and weirdly fitting crutches, getting the right amount of stretch and finding the right colour can be harder. So learn to make your own!
Like our Clothes Making for Beginners Course, you'll be working on a project of your choosing. You'll need to select and buy your own pattern prior to class commencing. In the interest of getting people to finish their jeans, we've narrowed the project choices down to these 3 jeans patterns:
- Megan Neilson Dawn Jeans for NON-STRETCH denim.
- Megan Neilson Ash jeans for STRETCH denim.
- Cashmerette Ames Jeans for STRETCH denim.
The weekend course runs from 10am - 4pm across 2 days and includes a 1 hr lunch break each day. Please let us know if you need to use our sewing machines and/or overlocker for the course, otherwise we will assume you're bringing your own to use. We also have a coverstitch on site that may be used for certain parts of your garment.
With a maximum number of 6 students per class, you'll get comforting one-on-one time with your knowledgeable teacher, Susan Goodwin of Measure Twice Cut Once.
Can't find a date that suits you? Email us to join our waiting list and we'll let you know when new dates are available.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Choosing correct needle, threads and stitch settings for working with denim.
- Reading and working with paper patterns.
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project.
- Techniques used for cutting and working with heavy fabrics with stretch / non-stretch properties.
- Shaping garments to fit.
- 10 hours of professional tuition
- Sewing machine use or bring your own.
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins.
- Use of specialist tools, e.g. pinking shears, tracing wheels, cutting mats, etc*
- Endless tea, coffee and bickies!
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your pattern - either Megan Neilson Dawn Jeans for NON-STRETCH denim, Megan Neilson Ash jeans for STRETCH denim, or Cashmerette Ames Jeans for STRETCH denim. If you download the pattern please print / tape it together before class. We will go straight into cutting patterns in lesson 1 after taking measurements. We stock a limited number of these patterns, if you'd like to purchase a physical copy for class. Availability can change without notice so purchase early.
- Your denim - either stretch or non stretch. Please ensure this is denim, not jeggings material to ensure that we can fit your jeans correctly.
- Other components necessary for completing your pattern. i.e. Regular thread (for piecing), Top-stitching thread (for finishing), metal tooth zip or buttons depending on whether you want a button or zip fly, metal button for waistband closure, rivets (optional). We have a these available to purchase in our shop.
- Your machine and needles. We also have machines you can borrow if necessary. Please bring a universal or jeans needle, size 80 or 90, and if you're using top-stitching thread, a top-stitching needle (a jeans size 100 can also be used).
- Overlocking thread to match your fabric if you would like to use our overlockers / coverstitch machine. We have overlocking thread, top-stitching thread and regular thread available to purchase in-store.
- Sewing Kit – thread snips, fabric scissors, fabric pins, water soluble pen/ chalk pencils/tailors chalk, measuring tape and un-picker. If you don't have the above, these supplies are available to purchase in-store.
- A close fitting tank top/bike pants to wear at different points. We will be measuring each other in class.
- Notebook and pen.
- Wear closed-in shoes and no loose jewellery.
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.