Stretch, Sports and Swimwear 2 Day Sewing Course
Bobbin and Ink is required to follow current COVID guidelines. We are currently only accepting bookings from people who have proof of vaccination. All students will be asked to check in via NSW Covid Safe QR code each lesson, wear a mask, and show their vaccination certificate before entering the workshop.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Dive into the world of stretchwear! Swimmers, aspiring yogis, gym junkies, fitness fanatics or lovers of stretchy pants and tops - we've got your stretch sewing needs covered in this 2 day course.
Improve your confidence in sewing with materials that like to move around as you work with them. Focus on working with two and four-way stretch fabric, knits, stretch lining, the correct needles/fabric/threads, elastic and fasteners. Learn how to best combine fabrics with different properties and stretch to achieve a great fit and professional finish.
We recommend that prior to booking in, you should have had a fair bit of practice sewing. It's recommended that you should have completed 3 to 4 garments of any kind, trouble free, following a commercial pattern to get the most out of the Intermediate to advanced content. We assume attendees have full competency in operating a sewing machine and are comfortable working on their own when attending (see Beginners Learn to Sew Clothing Course
first, if you don't fit this criteria). Refunds will not be available if you have incorrectly assumed your skill level for this course.
Like our Beginners Learn to Sew Clothing Course, you'll be working on a project of your choosing. You'll need to purchase your own pattern prior to class commencing. Let us know what you've chosen, we want to make sure you're not going to attempt something too complex for your skill level and the scheduled class hours. You will need to ensure you have the pattern in your size, there won't be time to do major redrafting in class.
The weekend course runs from 10am - 4pm on 2 separate days and includes an hour lunch break each day. Please let us know in advance if you need to use our sewing machines and/or overlockers for the course, otherwise we will assume you're bringing your own to use.
With a maximum number of 6 students per class, you'll get comforting one-on-one time with your knowledgeable teacher, Susan Goodwin of Measure Twice Cut Once.
Bobbin and Ink is an LGBTQI+ safe space and this course welcomes women, men and anyone identifying otherwise.
Can't find a date that suits you? Email us to join our waiting list and we'll let you know when new dates are available.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Choosing correct needle, threads and stitch settings for working with knits.
- Reading and working with paper patterns.
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project.
- Techniques used for cutting and working with slippery, stretchy / knit materials.
- Shaping garments to fit.
- 9 hours of professional tuition
- Sewing machine use or bring your own.
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins.
- Use of specialist tools, e.g. pinking shears, tracing wheels, cutting mats, etc*
- Endless tea, coffee and bickies!
WHAT TO BRING:
- A swim, stretch or sportswear pattern - either a commercial paper pattern or a pattern-makers downloaded pdf pattern you have printed onto paper yourself.
- Stretch fabric/s, zips, clasps, elastics, cups or other finishing tools required to make your garment. Your pattern will advise the correct type and amount of fabric to purchase. We sell swim and regular elastics in-store, as well as bra cups and some fasteners. If you need anything specific and are unsure how to get it,contact us.*
- Sewing kit* – thread snips, thread, fabric scissors, pins, fabric marking tools, measuring tape and un-picker. If you don't have the above, we sell a range of supplies in-store.*
- A working sewing machine. Preferably your own, so you gain confidence in its features. Otherwise we can provide you a sewing machine to use throughout the course. Just remember to tell us when you sign up.
- A close fitting tank top/bike pants. You'll be required to wear these under your clothes at different points across the course, as we will be measuring each other in class.
- Notebook and pen.
- Wear closed-in shoes and no loose jewelry.
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.