3 Day School Holiday Sewing Jamboree, October 2023
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Sewing Jamboree is here for the holidays! And who doesn't love a crafty challenge to get that creativity flowing?! Designed for sewing enthusiasts from age 8-16, we've put together some projects to engage teens and tweens of varying skill levels.
This holiday workshop will be run over 3 mornings from 10am to 1pm. Kids will kick off their sewing adventure by making simple projects like drawstring bags, scrunchies, and depending on their speed and skill level, a more complex pair of boxer shorts, pyjama pants or other custom project of their choice. For return students, feel free to bring a project from home along and we'll help get it finished. Students can also customise these projects with a choice of fabrics and patches. The Jamboree will cover basic sewing and machine set up skills, sewing machine and overlocker operation, learning to cut / trace patterns, inserting elastic, attaching pockets, overlocking, inserting drawstrings and hemming.
Kids will have guided supervision across the 9 hours of sewing time, to ensure they're making good progress and enjoying their time creating and making.
Sewing Jamboree is suitable for teens and attentive pre-teens who would like to learn how to sew, or who want to improve their existing skills. With a strong emphasis on re-use and recycling we will be utlising the many scrap fabrics we have on hand to sew some one of a kind creations. It's all about making friends with your sewing machine and with each other in this school holiday programme!
In a small group students, your child will be learning under the guidance of our experienced sewing teacher, Susan Goodwin, aka Measure Twice Cut Once. For more info on Susan and to see her latest sewing projects, check out her instagram: @_measuretwice!
YOUR CHILD WILL GAIN CONFIDENCE IN
- Threading a sewing machine and winding a bobbin.
- Learning to sew straight lines and 'pivot' around corners.
- Understanding the features and stitches on the sewing machine.
- Understanding the importance of 'seam allowance'
- How to finish seams with overlocking or zigzag
- Creating different seams
- Reading a sewing pattern
- Tackling personal projects
- Sewing machine use or bring your own!
- Basic project materials including fabric, pattern access, interfacing and notions.
- Use of our basic sewing accessories such as scissors, rulers, tape measures. See the list below for some of the tools you'll need to bring along or purchase (eg. thread).
- Access to a mountain of Bobbin and Ink scrap fabrics for test sewing.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A basic Sewing Kit including... thread snips, sewing thread, fabric scissors, pins, fabric marking chalk or a vanishing pen, measuring tape and un-picker. We have a kit to purchase in-store for $35 at the beginning of the class if you don't have these materials, just let us know when you book in.
- Your sewing machine, or let us know if you need to use one of ours.
- Notebook and pen if you'd like to take notes.
- Any snacks and drinks. We do have a kitchenette available. Please let us know if anyone has any allergies so we can keep food separate.
- Comfortable clothes and closed footwear.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.