A Very Wasteful Christmas - A Christmas Sewing Project Day
Duration: 3 hours
Skill Level: All Welcome from Beginners to Advanced
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
The most wonderful time of the year is here! For many, those sleigh bells a-jinglin' can fill us with joy, for others, they're a reminder of some pretty gross consumerism... yay!
So this year we're hosting a Very Wasteful Christmas - a celebration of waste and turning free and nasty refuse into good looking gifts and decorations. We've been saving up our fabric scraps from classes and our studio projects all year to transform into decorations, stockings and other silly-season trinkets. Hopefully you can learn some re-use skills and apply them to further projects throughout the year.
We're running this sewing workshop in league with Brother's Big Bunting Challenge. We'll have brother sewing, embroidery and ScanNCut machines on display in action with lots of show and tell if you want to see what they can do or just utilise a machine for the day. If you're looking to buy a sewing machine, we're a Brother retailer, but we're also happy for people to just come along and see what it's possible to create with the right tools.
Participants will choose from one of a handful of simple sewing projects to work on, from bunting to Christmas scrap wreaths, to recycled present wraps, stockings or a project of your own making. We don't care as long as you're recycling. Feel free to bring your own scraps from home to use up if you prefer, but we have more than enough to share.
This class assumes no sewing knowledge and will be run similarly to our Sunday Sewcial days, but with added supervision. We'll start with a quick intro to how to use a sewing machine for anyone new. We will also cater the content to those with a little bit of sewing experience so everyone feels a little challenged but capable of achieving great results on the day.
Bobbin and Ink is an LGBTQI+ safe space and this course welcomes women, men and anyone identifying otherwise. This is a 8 year old + kid and adult friendly event.
WHAT IS THE BROTHER BIG BUNTING CHALLENGE?
Brother are kickstarting the festive season, sewing and quilting-style with a big bunting challenge! Participating Brother retailers are inviting you in-store to give your making mojo a boost as you chat and sew fabulous bunting flags – with cheery elves on deck to assist. Choose from any of the sewing, quilting, embroidery or ScanNCut ideas we’ve put together to get you started, or use the template to create your own design. Stitch together as many flags as you want to, everyone that contributes a flag to their store’s bunting challenge will take home a gift from Brother (while stocks last).
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Making use of your sewing scraps!
- Making new sewing pals
- Setting up your sewing machine - threading, needle selection, thread choice, troubleshooting and maintenance
- Sewing components - creating seams, stopping fraying, sewing curves and points.
- Paper pattern reading
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project
- Pattern preparation and layout
- Fabric cutting
- Working through a pattern step-by-step
- Sewing machine use or bring your own
- A selection of our patterns to trace and use on the day
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins
- Endless tea and coffee provided
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your sewing scraps (we have a selection for you to choose from as well).
- Thread and other equipment you may need to finish off your projects*
- Sewing equipment including pins, scissors and tailors chalk.*
- A working sewing machine
- For safety, please wear closed in shoes and no loose jewellery should be worn.
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
You can EMAIL US with any other questions, no matter how trivial.
This class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy. Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.