Make Your Own Coats and Jackets Sewing Course
Duration: 9 weeks x 3 hours per week
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Nothing beats a well-fitting jacket to keep you looking classy and keep out the elements. Bomber jacket, wrap jacket, peacoat, stylish button-up... there are just so many choices and sewing them yourself is a great way to level up your sewing skills. Come and learn to make your own!
Our Coats and Jackets class is all about working with different fabrics and techniques. If this is your first coat, we'll guide through making a simpler style. If you've made one before, feel free to tackle something more complex. You'll learn to work with heavier fabrics, pockets (including welts) and even linings. Please note this is not a tailoring course - you will be following commercial pattern of your choosing and using some tailoring techniques, but you will not be creating a coat pattern from scratch.
The aim is to improve your confidence in sewing with a variety of fabrics to achieve a great looking coat. This course is for those who are confident sewing with woven fabrics but feel like they want to gain confidence in how to tackle linings and finicky details such as collars and pockets.
This is an intermediate to advanced sewing course. We recommend that prior to booking in, you should have completed 1 to 2 garments of any kind, relatively trouble free, following a commercial pattern. That way, you can get the most out of the Intermediate to Advanced content.
We assume attendees have full competency in operating a sewing machine and are comfortable working on their own when attending this class (see Beginners Learn to Sew Clothing Course first, if you don't fit this criteria). Refunds will not be available if you have incorrectly assumed your skill level for this course.
Bobbin and Ink is an LGBTIQ+ safe space and this course welcomes women, men and anyone identifying otherwise.
Like our Beginners Learn to Sew Clothing Course, you'll be working on a project of your choosing. You'll need to select and buy your own pattern and fabric prior to class commencing. If you have purchased a pdf pattern it must be assembled or printed out on A0 before class starts. During the first lesson we will be working on sizing and cutting out the paper patterns.
The 9 week course runs on Thursday Nights 6pm to 9pm. Please let us know in advance if you need to use our sewing machines and/or overlocker for the course, otherwise we will assume you're bringing your own to use.
With a maximum number of 6 students per class, you'll get comforting one-on-one time with your knowledgeable teacher, Susan Goodwin of Measure Twice Cut Once.
Can't find a date that suits you? Email us to join our waiting list and we'll let you know when new dates are available.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Choosing correct needle, threads and stitch settings for working with your fabric.
- Reading and working with paper patterns.
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project.
- Techniques used for cutting and working with a variety of fabrics with stretch / non-stretch properties.
- Shaping garments to fit.
- 27 hours of professional tuition
- Sewing machine use or bring your own.
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins.
- Use of specialist tools, e.g. pinking shears, tracing wheels, cutting mats, etc*
- Endless tea, coffee and bickies!
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your Jacket Pattern - If you choose to download the pattern please ensure you print it / tape it together before class. We will go straight into cutting patterns on the first lesson after taking measurements.
- Your outer fabric - woven fabric with little to no stretch is best.
- Your lining fabric - you can use traditional lining fabric or go wild with a printed satin.
- Other components necessary for completing your pattern. i.e. Regular thread (for piecing) zippers, buttons etc. We also have a selection of these items available to purchase on the day in our shop.
- Your machine and needles for it. We also have machines you can borrow if necessary. Please bring a universal, size 80 or 90.
- Overlocking thread to match your fabric if you would like to use our overlockers / coverstitch machine. We have overlocking thread, top-stitching thread and regular thread available to purchase in-store.
- Sewing Kit – thread snips, fabric scissors, fabric pins, water soluble pen/ chalk pencils/tailors chalk, measuring tape and un-picker. If you don't have the above, these supplies are available to purchase in-store.
- A working sewing machine. We recommend working on your own sewing machine so you gain confidence in its features. Make sure you bring along the manual too! Otherwise we can provide you a sewing machine to use throughout the course. Just remember to tell us when you sign up.
- A close fitting tank top/tshirt. To wear at different points across the course, as we will be measuring each other in class.
- Notebook and pen.
- Wear closed-in shoes and no loose jewellery.
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.