Make Your Own Caps and Hats 1 Day Sewing Class
Duration: 1 day x 5 hours
Skill Level: All Welcome from Beginners to Advanced
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
This one is for the wide-brimmed beauties, truckers, fans of flaps in the back, newsies, or classic snap-back lovers. We're covering all the bases (and heads) in this one day intro to sewing fabric hats!
Learn to cut and sew your own baseball, flat cap, cycling cap, bucket or sun hat to suit your style, in a fabric of your choosing. We've built the content of this class for absolute beginner, first-time sewists with no prior sewing knowledge, so it's a great intro to sewing class for people who love hats and headwear.
Like our Beginners Learn to Sew Clothing Course, you'll be working on a project of your choosing, though we have created a shortlist of achievable projects to make sure you can complete your hat in the class time. Upon booking in, you'll receive a list of patterns to choose from for your project with advice on what fabric will be suitable. You will need to select and buy your own fabric prior to class commencing but for those who prefer to get everything in one place, we will have a couple of plain fabric options available for purchase in-store on the day.
If you have a different pattern you would prefer to use, but aren't sure if it is suitable don't hesitate to email or call us to check if it's ok.
The weekend class runs from 10am - 4pm across 1 day. Please let us know if you need to use our sewing machines and/or overlocker prior to class commencing, otherwise we will assume you're bringing your own.
Bobbin and Ink is an LGBTQI+ safe space and this course welcomes women, men and anyone identifying otherwise. The content of the class is geared towards adults, but if you know a teen or child who wants to learn to sew, check out our Kids and Teens Learn to Sew Clothes Course.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Setting up your sewing machine - threading, needle selection, thread choice, troubleshooting and maintenance
- Sewing components - creating neat seam finishes, sewing curves and points.
- Paper pattern reading
- Choosing the right type of fabric and notions for your project
- Pattern preparation and layout
- Fabric cutting
- Working through a pattern step-by-step
- 5 hours of professional tuition
- Sewing machine use or bring your own.
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins.
- Use of specialist tools, e.g. pinking shears, tracing wheels, cutting mats, etc*
- Endless tea, coffee and bickies!
WHAT TO BRING:
- Upon booking in, you'll receive a list of patterns to choose from for your project with advice on what fabric will be suitable to use. If you have a preferred pattern you'd like to use instead, let us know before booking in so we can confirm it's achievable. We will go straight into measurements and cutting patterns when you arrive for class.
- 1m of your chosen fabric to complete your hat. If you prefer to purchase some fabric from us, you can do so on the day.
- Other components necessary for completing your pattern. We will have thread, buttons, mesh, closures. rivets, brim inserts and interfacing available for purchase in our shop on the day but feel free to bring any particular components you would like to use with your project.
- Your sewing machine and needles. We also have machines you can borrow if necessary. Please bring a universal or jeans needle, size 80 or 90, and if you're using top-stitching thread, a top-stitching needle (a jeans size 100 can also be used). All of these supplies are also available to purchase in our shop on the day.
- Overlocking thread to match your fabric if you would like to use our overlockers / coverstitch machine. We have overlocking thread, top-stitching thread and regular thread available to purchase in-store.
- A basic sewing kit – thread snips, fabric scissors, fabric pins, water soluble pen/ chalk pencils/tailors chalk, measuring tape and un-picker. If you don't have the above, these supplies are available to purchase in-store.
- Notebook and pen.
- Wear closed-in shoes and no loose jewellery.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.