Quilted Coin Pocket: An Introduction to Sashiko and Structural Stitching with Working Cloth
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
In this workshop we welcome our resident international guest tutor, Lauren MacDonald of Working Cloth, who will guide you through constructing a quilted coin pocket using Hitomezashi Sashiko and contemporary sewing techniques. Come on a sewing journey: review the long and global history of quilted objects, including the Edo period origins of Sashiko mending.
Literally translated as "Little Stabs" Sashiko refers to the running stitches used to create geometric motifs in this form of Japanese embroidery. No quilting experience is necessary, however sewing experience is recommended for this workshop. We run a Sewing Machine Set Up Class if you wish to gain some sewing and machine foundations before attending this Hand Quilting Class.
We are excited to play host to a series of workshops developed by Lauren of Working Cloth, all centred around her unique aesthetic focusing on hand stitching and quilting techniques. Working Cloth combines textile history and culture with practical applied learning to create workshops on related themes.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- How to choose appropriate textiles, waddings and threads
- Rotary cutting
- Piecing and assembling whole cloth quilts
- Basting methods, hand quilting, machine binding with hand finishing
- Textiles, wadding and zipper will be provided for the project.
- Sashiko Kit: Thimble, Needles, Thread
- Sewing machine use or bring your own!
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins
- Endless tea and coffee provided
WHAT TO BRING:
- Rotary cutter and cutting matt - you can also purchase one in store if you prefer.
- A working sewing machine - we recommend working on your own sewing machine so you gain more confidence. Otherwise we can provide you a sewing machine to use through out the course. Just remember to tell us when you sign up!
- Notebook and pen
- Lunch - we have a microwave, fridge and kettle if you'd like to bring your own. There will be a half hour break in class so you're welcome to stretch your legs and grab something to eat.
- Please wear closed in shoes and no loose jewellery.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.