Teen Sewcial After School Sewing Programme
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Teen Sewcial is an 8 week programme designed to nurture the interests and skills of teenage sewing enthusiasts, within a social learning environment. Make friends, learn to sew and explore the possibilities!
Suitable for teens and preteens, 11+ in age. If you're not sure whether your child fits this criteria, please email us before booking.
The programme will cover basic sewing and machine set up skills. New students will work on a quick group project, making pyjama pants, followed by the pursuit of personal sewing projects of their own choosing. The group project of making the pyjama pants will instruct the students in some excellent sewing skills, like learning to cut / trace patterns, inserting elastic, attaching pockets, overlocking, inserting drawstrings and hemming.
These skills will become the foundation for undertaking their own self directed projects in the latter part of the programme. We have a selection of $1 and $2 vintage patterns for sale in-store, as well as pattern books students can choose to order and purchase a pattern from, or be shown how to source their own for free online.
For continuing students (those who have already completed pyjama pants in a previous session of this class) they will have guided supervision across the 9 weeks to work on a project / pattern of their choosing - whether it's a zipped cushion, buttoned shirt, fitted dress, or something else of their choosing.
Teen Sewcial is suitable for teens who would like to learn how to sew, or who want to improve their existing skills. It's all about making friends with your sewing machine and with each other in this after school programme!
In a small group of 6 students max, your child will be learning under the guidance of our experienced sewing teacher, Alison Balchin. For more info on Alison and to see her latest sewing projects, check out her instagram: @sewing.mistress!
YOUR CHILD WILL GAIN CONFIDENCE IN
- Threading a sewing machine and winding a bobbin.
- Learning to sew straight lines and 'pivot' around corners.
- Understanding the features and stitches on the sewing machine.
- Understanding the importance of 'seam allowance'
- How to finish seams with overlocking or zigzag
- Creating different seams: straight seam & French seam hemming techniques
- Looking at old clothes from a new perspective: customizing or upcycling existing
- Buying commercial patterns
- Team project work
- Tackling personal projects
- Sewing machine use or bring your own!
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins
- Access to a mountain of Bobbin and Ink scrap fabrics for test sewing.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your sewing machine, or use one of ours
- Sewing thread, or ask us about buying a sewing kit for class
- 2.5 meters of light weight cotton fabric for PJ pants
- Fabric & pattern for own projects (discussed 2nd or 3rd week)
- Notebook and pen.
- A tight fitting singlet/ top and tights to wear while trying on their sewn garments, so students can take each other's measurements correctly.
- Any snacks and drinks. We do have a kitchenette available.
- Comfortable clothes and closed footwear.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.