Teen Sewcial 4 Week After School Sewing Programme
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Teen Sewcial is an 4 week programme designed to nurture the interests and skills of teenage sewing enthusiasts, within a social learning environment. Make friends, learn to sew and explore the possibilities!
Suitable for teens and preteens, 10+ in age. We can occasionally cater to younger students if the class is smaller or if the student has a bit of experience sewing. If you're not sure whether your child fits this criteria, please email us before booking in
The programme will cover basic sewing and machine set up skills. New students will work on a quick group project, making pyjama pants or a tote bag, followed by the pursuit of personal sewing projects, if there is time. The common group sewing project will instruct the students in useful, common sewing skills, like learning to cut / trace patterns, attaching pockets, overlocking, inserting drawstrings or elastics and hemming. These skills will become the foundation for undertaking future projects.
For continuing students (those who have already completed pyjama pants or a tote bag in a previous session of this class) they will have guided supervision across the 4 weeks to work on a project / pattern of their choosing - whether it's a zipped cushion, buttoned shirt, fitted dress, or something else of their choosing. We have a selection of $1 and $2 vintage patterns for sale in-store, as well as pattern books students can choose to order and purchase a pattern from, or be shown how to source their own for free online.
Teen Sewcial is suitable for teens and pre-teens who would like to learn how to sew, or who want to improve their existing skills. It's all about making friends with your sewing machine and with each other in this after school programme!
In a small group of 6 students, your child will be learning under the guidance of our experienced sewing teacher, Alison Balchin. For more info on Alison and to see her latest sewing projects, check out her instagram: @sewing.mistress!
YOUR CHILD WILL GAIN CONFIDENCE IN
- Threading a sewing machine and winding a bobbin.
- Learning to sew straight lines and 'pivot' around corners.
- Understanding the features and stitches on the sewing machine.
- Understanding the importance of 'seam allowance'
- How to finish seams with overlocking or zigzag
- Creating different seams: straight seam & French seam hemming techniques
- Looking at old clothes from a new perspective: customizing or upcycling existing clothing.
- Buying commercial patterns
- Team project work
- Tackling personal projects
- Sewing machine use or bring your own!
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins
- Access to a mountain of Bobbin and Ink scrap fabrics for test sewing.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your sewing machine, or use one of ours. Let us know if you need to borrow a machine.
- Sewing thread, and basic sewing tools. If you'd like to purchase your own sewing kit, we have one for sale in-store.
- 2.5 meters of light weight cotton fabric for PJ pants or 1m of light weight cotton for a tote bag.
- Fabric & pattern if you'd like to tackle your own project (this option is only open to continuing students or confident students with prior sewing knowledge, not first-timers).
- Notebook and pen.
- A tight fitting singlet/ top and tights to wear while trying on their sewn garments, so students can take each other's measurements correctly.
- Any snacks and drinks. We do have a kitchenette available.
- Comfortable clothes and closed footwear.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.