The Perfect A Line Skirt: Intro to Pattern Making with Studio Faro
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
Are you keen to try your hand at pattern making? Do you have loads of great ideas in your head but no way to turn them into workable patterns? This could be the place to start your pattern making journey.
This course will help students to develop their understanding of pattern making and how to use a basic skirt block to make a new sewing pattern. This block has been developed by Anita of Studio Faro and is used to produce first sample patterns for our local fashion industry.
Learn to adapt the skirt block into an A-Line skirt pattern with an emphasis on great styling, good balance and strong technical detail to achieve a professional edge. This workshop is ideal if you would like to create your own skirt patterns professionally or personally. This workshop does not cover the detail of achieving your own personal fit but focuses on pattern making adaptations for an A Line Skirt.
The course spans four-hours and you will leave with a complete skirt pattern. With a maximum number of 10 students per class, you'll get more one-on-one time with your teacher.
This workshop is suitable for students of all skill levels and men and women alike. Some sewing experience is important to understand the garment blocks you’ll use in the workshop. Students are required to arrive at class with the basic equipment outlined in the ‘What to Bring’ list.
This course is suitable for men and women alike. Bobbin and Ink is a LGBTI Safe Place and this course is trans-friendly.
GAIN CONFIDENCE IN:
- Your understanding of skirt blocks and how they relate to finished skirt patterns.
- Mastering dart transfer and how to use darts in creative design.
- Assessing the measurements you need to make well balanced patterns.
- Selecting the right seam allowances for your skirt patterns and deciding on the best finishing techniques.
- Understanding good fit and balance in your skirt patterns.
- Checking the fit and balance of all patterns before cutting your first toile.
- A copy of Studio Faro's skirt block as an A0 print for use in the class (Sizes 6-22).
- A detailed workbook that covers all the training featured in the class and more for your on-going use.
- Demonstrations of the most common pattern alterations for turning a skirt block into skirt apattern.
- One on one time with Anita to identify the pattern alterations that will make your skirt pattern great.
- A comprehensive materials and suppliers list featuring Anita’s favourite sources.
- Access to our cutting tables and mannequins.
- Endless tea and coffee provided!
WHAT TO BRING:
- A ruler, pencil, eraser, glue stick, tape measure and paper scissors.
- Any favourite pattern making equipment you may have. There will be some specialist rulers and equipment in the class for students to use.
- Notebook and pen
*Marked items can be purchased in store, if you don't already have these.
EMAIL US with any questions you might have.
This Class is subject to Bobbin and Ink's Cancellation Policy.
Please read it on our Terms and Conditions page before booking.